OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
Scott Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:37:20 -0700
Greetings all,

I had nothing to do this evening, so I made the five
minute jaunt up to the reservoir to see if anything
new had come in. The Osprey was not to be found, which
was no surprise. It seemed to be on its way out when I
was there this morning. There were, however, a few new
arrivals:

Common Loon - 1
Ruddy Duck - 2

After having had a total of one bird on the water the
last two weeks, three was a gold mine!

The Nature Center provided a large amount of
waterfowl, but of a small variety. I had driven by the
NC on my way to the reservoir and had seen some 60+
ducks take off (they appeared to all be Mallards) so I
expected to find the pond fairly empty on my return
after the reservoir. As I pulled up, I could see white
splotches all across the pond. At first I felt perhaps
it was paper out on the pond (there was a mass of
handout sheets on the road next to the pond) but upon
getting up closer realized the white to be the breasts
of an exorbitant amount of Canada Geese! Here are the
rough numbers:

Canada Goose - ~150
Mallard - ~25
Wood Duck - ~20
Great Blue Heron - 1 (flyover)
Green Heron - 2
Shorebirds - NONE

Tomorrow I'll try and brave the mosquito filled woods.
A short run through them earlier in the week didn't
produce much aside from a hoard of chickadees, a few
Downy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers, and a lone Red-eyed
Vireo. Thanks for reading and happy birding!

- Scott Myers, Paulding