OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2007 13:36:24 -0400
Note: On Tuesday Sept. 25, Tom Sheley will speak to the Columbus Audubon
guests and members at Inniswood Metro Gardens about his week in south Texas
on the Texas Coastal Birding Trail with a group from California who were
there on a photo safari.  Social 7pm and the presentation begins at 7:30pm.
Please see www.columbusaudubon.org <http://www.columbusaudubon.org/>  for
additional information.  Guests and members welcome!

Disclaimer:  there was a mistake in our latest CA newsletter indicating this
program was scheduled for Oct.  Tom is speaking in Sept. and Karen Halberg,
Ph.D. OSU, will speak on Living with Coyotes at the Oct 23 program.

Please join members and guests of the Delaware County Bird Club for our
first meeting of the 2007-08 season tomorrow, Monday Sept. 24 (social time
7pm - meeting commences at 7:30pm).

As written by our esteemed founder Dr. Edward H. Burtt: [[log in to unmask]]

Each fall we resume our schedule regular meetings, a time to renew old
friendships, welcome new birders, especially students to our meetings, and
share stories of the successes of our nesting birds.  Our first meeting will
begin informally at 07:00 p.m. on September 24 in room 163 of the Ohio
Wesleyan Science Center.  Parking is available in the parking lot beside the
Science Center or in the Selby Field lot on Henry Rd. across the street from
the Science Center.  As always there will be refreshments, a specimen quiz,
news of local birds, and a program. Do join us on the fourth Monday of the
month from September through April for the meeting of the Delaware County
Bird Club.

Date          Topic/Speaker

Sep    24   Belize: jewel of the Yucatan.

                   Earl Harrison

Oct    22   Parrot feathers: more than just color.

                   Lauren A. Smith

                   Tales of junco tails.

                   Jack M. Stenger

Oct    27   Field trip to Indiana Dunes to see the

                   Sandhill Crane migration

Nov. 26    Birds Of Costa Rica
              Join Michael Packer of the Ohio Ornithological Society on his
photographic journey in search of native Costa Rican birds and migratory
birds that nest here in Ohio. In 10 days, he         and his colleagues
traveled both coasts and 11,000 feet up to log over 300 unique species of
tropical birds and over 100 species of jungle creatures!

Dec    10   Goals (Hopes?) for Christmas Count 2007

                   (Note the date! Not the 4th Monday!)

Dec    16   20th Delaware Reservoir Christmas Bird

                   Count (contact Jed if you want to help)

Dr. Earl Harrison

man of many talents

Our September speaker was recently appointed the Dean's Distinguished
Professor of Nutrition at The Ohio State University, but that is just one of
his many talents.  As an avid birder it did not take long for him to link up
with the Columbus Audubon society.  As an extraordinary photographer  it was
not long before he caught the eye of our roving program chair who is
currently president of the Columbus Audubon society and always on the prowl
for talented speakers for the Delaware County Bird Club.

      Earl Harrison grew up in New Jersey and has been watching birds since
he was 11 years old. He was lured to Columbus last year after living for a
number of years in the Philadelphia and Washington, DC, areas. He is a
member of the Cape May Bird Observatory and a life member and fellow of the

Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, in which he served as field trip chair
and a member of council. He has volunteered in the ornithology department of
The Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia and the Patuxent National
Wildlife Research Refuge in Maryland. When not watching or photographing

birds, Earl serves as Professor of Human Nutrition at Ohio State.

      The presentation will feature some of the sights and sounds
experienced by eight friends on a 12-day birding trip to three different
lodges in Belize.  This

friendly, safe and hospitable country on the Yucatan Peninsula provides a
great and manageable introduction to the wonders of tropical birding.  But
join us to look and listen for yourself.

Besides, there will be refreshments.

Please direct questions to Darlene Sillick privately.

Thank you!