OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2007 21:29:49 -0400
Hello all,

My wife and I just got back from a successful trip to Wisconsin. There
were about 50 people there when we arrived; they are an hour behind us.
There was coffee and Danishes available for a small donation to support
the local bird club. Jean was a very gracious host. It sounded bad when
we first got there because the bird had not been seen yet that morning.
After about 45 minutes the hushed call "there it is" went up and the
bird was there and gone in less than 15 seconds. It is much larger than
a Ruby-throated hummingbird. It flew into an apple orchard behind the
house. I walked down the fence the direction the Mango flew and talked
to some neighbors there. They reported to me that the Mango has been
there since at least the last week of July.

After talking with them I saw the Mango land in an Elm tree. It flew
from there to a feeder to a Black Cheery tree. I waved the other birders
down and we were able to observe the bird for another 30 minutes when my
wife and I had to leave.

It was as Ken Kaufman said just like the picture on page 219 of his
focus guide. It had a curved bill, rust on the sides of the chin and the
central stripe did not reach did not reach the chin. The tail was dark
except for some white on the tips of the outer feathers. It is worth the
950 mile round trip. I went the long way around Chicago going up so as
not to loose time.

Good Birding

John Habig
261 Lantis Dr.