OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:21:23 -0400
Hello Everyone,

I've been doing a bit of OBBA2 data exploration over the last couple of
days.  Many of you are already aware of the Atlas' online data mapping
feature, but for those of you who aren't familiar with what is currently
available, I'd like to direct you all to the following
website...http://bird.atlasing.org/Atlas/OH/Main/.  This is the OBBA2 data
entry interface (designed by the Info Science folks at Cornell) but besides
data entry, anyone can access current Atlas results from data that's already
been entered by volunteers.  Look at the upper right-hand corner of the main
page and click "View Results."  You can now explore a multitude of mapped
data themes currently available.  Want to know what areas of Ohio have
absolutely NO survey coverage so you can prepare for next year's atlasing
adventures?  Choose "Number of Species" from the "Select A Theme" pull-down
menu and off you go.

Want to explore current species distributions?  Simply choose a species from
the Species pull-down menu.  This function will also allow you to view
comparison maps from data collected during the first OBBA back in the 80's.
We all know that Bald Eagles have made an enormous come back in Ohio over
the last couple of decades but what sort of a comeback are we talking about
here?  Well, visit this URL first....

http://bird.atlasing.org/Atlas/OH/Main?cmd=stateSummary&theme=species&edition=previous&species=baleag

Then, visit this URL (
http://bird.atlasing.org/Atlas/OH/Main?cmd=stateSummary&theme=species&edition=current&species=baleag)
or simply click the blue hyperlink next to the species name titled "View
Current Atlas Data".  This is probably the quickest way to grasp the extent
of the Bald Eagle's nearly 30-fold increase in the number of occupied Atlas
blocks.  Simply amazing!

Good birding!

--
Aaron Boone