OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2007 00:28:05 -0400
I split a few hours between 2 close spots on each of the above-mentioned reservoirs.  At Alum I opted for New Galena boat launch (for its migrant accumulating potential).  From there I drove the few miles across to the north shore of Hoover and walked around the Wiese access (for landbird & waterbird migrants).  Highlights included:

Waterfowl - huge flock of Canada geese off Wiese, along with a few Mallards & Shovelers.  Also plenty of cormorants (60+) scattered in N. Hoover.

Shorebirds - low numbers at Wiese but diversity good, including Semipalm.Plover (20), Kildeer (40), G.Yellowlegs (12), L.Yellowlegs (6), Pectoral (4), Least (10), Semipalm. Spr. (20), Baird's (1), Stilt Spr. (1), Long-billed Dowitcher (1), Dunlin (3)

Raptors - single Cooper's Hawks at both sites, but little else

Hummingbird - a single Ruby-throat was at New Galena

Flycatchers - single Pewees at both sites

Vireos - 2 singing White-eyed were still at New Galena, along with a mute Red-eyed

Blue Jays - starting to move, with 40/1 hr. at New galena, and 15 in a similar period at Wiese

Thrushes - a few Swainson's were at both sites, and a Gray-cheeked was calling at New Galena

Mimids - still lot of Catbirds (40+) at New Galena, along with 1-2 Brown Thrashers

Cedar Waxwings - surprisingly few given recent flocks.  Only 10 at New Galena, and a similar # at Wiese

Amercian Pipit - 5 were scattered across the ample mudflats off Wiese access

Warblers - very few, with only 5 species at New galena (Nashville, Black-thr.green, magnolia, Redstart, C.Yellowthroat), 3 at Wiese (Nashville, Palm. Magnolia).

Grosbeaks-Buntings - Rose-br.Grosbeak calling at New galena

Migrants were not very abundant this morning at either site, but with the changing weather that might shift quickly. At Wiese, the power company is trimming brush along the old road (under a powerliine), so this strip will probably look very different in a few days.

Butterflies were still quite interesting on the Hoover Grassflats, with huge #s of Fiery Skippers and smaller #s of unusual species like Cloudless Sulphur, Buckeye, and American painted ladies. This is despite a relative lack of flowers; pretty much only swamp tickseed (genus Bidens) is blooming now.

As a neat side note, Delaware County's Preservation Parks has finally opened Char-Mar Preserve, a forest preserve adjacent to the NW shore of Hoover.  It includes a long trail (1.7 miles) that loops through much of the preserve (following an old horse trail).  The park is mostly 2nd growth with a few interesting areas, including a beautiful beaver pond in the middle, and some neat small ravines along the southern edge (I know from prior visits).  Look for the entrance along Lewis Center Road, about a half mile west of its junction with the 3-C highway along the NW shore of Hoover.  It definitely fills the bill for a good forest walk near Hoover.