OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:56:26 -0700
I was at Wildwood Park on the east side of Cleveland today in the morning and then in the afternoon.  I saw what looked like a CONNECTICUT WARBLER possibly female or immature around 10:15am.  I know they can be confused with Mourning Warblers.  At first I thought this bird had the coloring of a Orange-crowned Warbler because it was so olive.  It walked along the ground in low green growth and was hard to see continually.  I actually thought it was behaving like an Ovenbird.  It had a complete white eyering, had a washed out somewhat dull grayish head down to the middle of the breast.  It walked around the green growth but a few times it would hop straight up in the air.  That is what confused me when I got home and read up on them.  Mourning Warblers are supposed to hop and Connecticut's are suppose to walk.  It was 20 feet away and I didn't want to chase after to get a picture because there was poison ivy.  When I got home I found a website (royalabertamuseum.ca) that said
 they occasionally hop on the ground.
  http://www.royalalbertamuseum.ca/vexhibit/warblers/species/cowa.htm
  "The Connecticut Warbler is described as a shy and retiring species, but it is its walking gait that distinguishes it, including a slightly bobbing tail and a tendency to hop occasionally on the ground or from branch to branch, but typically walks on the ground or on fallen logs or tree limbs."

  If anyone has any comments they would be appreciated.
  I was in the woods just off the path going west of the road that leads into the field north of the library.
  Didn't see much else unusual I could ID there today except:
  Blackpoll Warbler female & Swainsons Thrush and over a dozen Northern Flickers, Warbling & Red-eye Vireos.

  Nancy Anderson
  Richmond Hts, OH
  NE Cuyahoga County