OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
Lana Hays <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lana Hays <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2007 20:27:26 -0400
This was my first trip up to Conneaut this year and was I surprised
at how dry it was.   Most of the water that had been present last
weekend as mentioned by a friend was dried up.  There is virtually no
water on the mudflats. It is so dry that mudflats......or
sandbars.......have developed between the mudflats and the breakwalls
on the lakebed.

I got there early Saturday morning but didn't get to see the Ruff
that Craig reported.   To add to his list, I had a flyover of a
Wimbrel and there was a Stilt Sandpiper for some time around noon.

I birded from about 6:46am until 11am  on Sunday and then headed
home.  It was certainly nice to see many birders there.  List for
Sunday included:

Semipalmated Sandpipers
Semipalmated Plovers
White-rumped Sandpiper (1)
Baird's Sandpiper (2)
Lesser Yellowlegs (2)
Greater Yellowlegs (2)
Least Sandpipers
Sanderlings
Short-billed Dowitcher (1)

There were many gulls.   I did notice that from time to time the
gulls would chase the shorebirds off the sandbar area.   On Saturday
as this continued, the shorebirds worked their way around the edge
until they all ended up on the east side.

I got some photographs but it was pretty difficult and rather slim
pickings.  Nevertheless, I have them posted on my website under
"What's New (9/3/07)
www.lanahays.com

Lana Hays