OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 01:26:39 EDT
Hello!

On Monday late afternoon (9/3), I accessed Hoover Reservoir's western shore
via Wiese Rd., where upon emerging through the trees, I immediately saw 5
Buff-Breasted Sandpipers foraging close by in the thin vegetation up towards the
tree line (as reported for me by Bruce Simpson).  Shortly thereafter,  I was
joined by Ken and Julie Davis, and Jen Sauter.  Looking through our  scopes
further down shore, we noted numerous peeps but did not take the  time to go
down and ID the various birds.  From our original access  point, we collectively
saw the following notable birds:

BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER-5
Semipalmated Plover-4
Semipalmated Sandpiper-many
WESTERN SANDPIPER-1 juvenile
SANDERLING-1
Least Sandpiper-many
Lesser Yellowlegs-4
Common Nighthawk-3 flying relatively low in broad daylight
Northern Shoveler-5

While it was still light out, Ken and I went over to the east shore to  look
for the Red Phalarope that Bruce Simpson and others reported in the area
yesterday.  We observed the following notable birds:

RED PHALAROPE-One was observed in the small inlet just north of Pelican
Island in the same area reported by Bruce.  Ken and I studied this bird for  a
long time (over 30 minutes) and we concluded after careful consideration that
the bird was a Red Phalarope.  We telephoned Julie who later joined us  and she
also concluded that the bird appeared to be a Red Phalarope.  After  Ken and
Julie left, I observed the bird up close through my scope for another 15
minutes.  It was totally into feeding in its typical "nervous" fashion  mainly in
the water with some time on shore, oblivious to what was  going on around it.
BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER-1
Short-Billed Dowitcher-4
Stilt Sandpiper-2
Greater Yellowlegs-6