OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
"TINIANOW, Jerome" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TINIANOW, Jerome
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 08:27:58 -0400
While biking to work this morning I saw a group of Canada Geese in the Olentangy River just north of the Lane Avenue bridge.  These geese have been at this location in the morning for several weeks, and the traffic does not seem to disturb them - often, in fact, they block the bike path and don't give way as cyclists try to go through.  Today, however, the whole group suddenly took off.  Looking over my shoulder I spotted a Peregrine Falcon flying down the river towards where the geese had been.  The Peregrine's mask was clearly visible.

The timing of the geese's departure may have just been a coincidence, but these are urban birds that generally are not rattled by the east-west traffic on the bridge or the north-south traffic on the bike path.  Given the size disparity and the lack of goslings at this time of the year, I didn't think that Canada Geese would be rattled by the Peregrine - but this is really just an uneducated assumption on my part.  Can anyone comment on whether the appearance of a Peregrine would likely spook mature Canada Geese?

Jerry Tinianow