OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2007 20:52:41 -0400
  I found the Glossy Ibis that was reported earlier this week at Burr Oak
Lake.  The bird has moved because it was no where near the spot it was
reported from - which was first seen last Saturday and then again on Labor
Day.  This evening the bird was frequenting my favorite little slice of
muddy low water habitat on the north end of Burr Oak, accessible via Dock 3
Road.  The bird was very skittish and feeding vigorously.  It flew around a
couple times just to land near the same spot - each time vocalizing as it
flew.  Another half a mile closer and I could of had this as a new yard bird
- maybe it will find my pond.  Also Green Heron, Pectoral, Least,
Semipalmated, Spotted, Solitary sandpiper and about 10 Lesser yellowlegs
were out on the mud as well.  Another impressive congregation of Chimney
swifts filled the sky - approx. 200+.   The Ibis flew South near dusk -
hopefully returning to its elusive corner of a hidden Burr Oak cove - which
means it may return tomorrow in better light for photographing.  I did get
some digiscopes but they are grainy and dim.  This Ibis looked to be an
adult in between breeding and non breeding plumage, with two pale lines on
its face, brownish bill that looked like it had a dark tip but I think it
was mud.

Dock 3 road is located off of SR 78 about 13 miles from McConnelsville in
Morgan County and 8 miles from the Village of Glouster in Athens County.

Glen Crippen
Burr Oak Lake