OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
"Grody, Elayna M." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Grody, Elayna M.
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2007 14:18:24 -0400
The Mudflats at Hoover are in the Hoover Nature Preserve - which many of
you are aware.  Because of this, rules are in place to protect the
wildlife and natural areas.  It is against the Nature Preserve Rules for
people to be walking on the Mudflats.  Access is only allowed in
designated areas - the boardwalk, Weise Road, Old Sunbury Road by the
East Shore Yacht Club, Oxbow, Area N and Area L.  It is not that we are
trying to keep well-behaving birders out of the area - but other who
damage the area.

We have had problems with people letting their dogs run on the mudflats
and chase the birds, drive their ATVs on the mudflats, etc.  And, to be
honest, with the large amount of birders coming to the area - the impact
of their feet is much greater than you would imagine.  Therefore, the
best practice is to follow the rules to protect the mudflats and the
birds who depend upon them by not going out onto the mudflats.

Please, only use the approved areas.  We do understand and support your
interest, that is why we put up the boardwalk. (BTW - we are seeking
funds to finish the boardwalk).

Help us to protect what makes Hoover special and the birds that come
there.

Thanks,

Elayna M. Grody
Natural Resources Manager
Columbus Recreation and Parks Department
(614) 645-3304