OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:22:38 EDT
Today Marc Schroeder joined me at the Hoover Nature Preserve to see what
shorebirds might have dropped in after the weather front that came through
Sunday. We checked activity at the Area M boardwalk, Wiese Road and along the  east
shore. We had a nice variety of birds and we met John Kuenzli who informed
us of some species we had not located. Birds of interest observed include:

Blue-winged Teal
Green-winged Teal
Northern  Shoveler
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Egret
Bald  Eagle                                    (immature  north of Pelican
Island)
Red-shouldered  Hawk                    (1  fly-over at east shore)
Black-bellied  Plover                        (only  1 today and it flew north)
Semipalmated  Plover                       (good numbers at all  locations)
Killdeer
Greater  Yellowlegs
Lesser  Yellowlegs
Willet                                            (located  by John near
Eastshore Yacht Club)
Spotted Sandpiper
Ruddy  Turnstone                           (nice  group at east shore just
north of Pelican  Island)
Sanderling                                    (nice  numbers and cooperative
north of Pelican Island)
Semipalmated  Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Baird’s  Sandpiper                        (few  and scattered at both Wiese
Road and east shore)
Pectoral  Sandpiper
Buff-breasted  Sandpiper                 (  a few at Wiese Road, more and
closer at east  shore)
Short-billed  Dowitcher                    (14  at Wiese Road and more at
east shore)
Red-necked  Phalarope                   (1 with  gulls and terns at east
shore)
Caspian  Tern                                 (small  group at east shore)
Black  Tern                                      (several with gulls at east
shore)
Yellow-throated  Vireo                      (1  viewed along tree line as we
departed east shore)

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve
Delorme 58 C (2) &  (3)