OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2007 21:52:59 -0400
 Well I got up this morning from my roadside rest and went to the beach at Conneaut. At the rest area I heard many Warblers and Veeries and Swainson's Thrushes flying over in the night many of them were undoubtedly dis-oriented by the bright lights and low clouds. I walked up to the doors at about midnight and a poor little Nashville Warbler was at the window, luckily he seemed mostly confused and my approach caused him to flutter against the window and then about face out into the night, hopefully he makes it out of there. Early in the morning I heard a Wood Thrush calling from the trees and hedges. But anyways, Conneaut Beach was rather slow, around 7:00 a group of 3 White-Rumped Sandpipers showed. There were a good number of gulls about of the usual four species (only a few of each Grt. Black-backed and Bonaparte's). The White-Rumps left and there were only a medium sized crowd of Sanderlings and Semi-palmated Sandpipers (40 Semi's, and 10-20 sanderlings) with a handful of Leasts mixed in. A Short-billed Dowitcher dropped in calling its low Tu-tu-tu. 3 Black-Bellied Plovers livened things up briefly.  2 Pectorals. Around 10 Semipalmated Plovers came and went or stayed. I took a few pictures, and even took to photographing the good flock of Turkey Vultures on the beach. A probable Merlin made a stoop and a skyward flight over towards the marina. A few Juv. Bald Eagles kept spooking everybody. Any ways, I and the other morning birders headed out of there by noon or before. Maybe it was the mostly Western blowing winds that kept stuff away. As I drove out I also spotted a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher in the willows.
         Dan Sanders told me this morning that only one Hudsonian Godwit remained at the Cedar Pt. Chausee. Also many of the warblers seemed to be gone from Sheldon Marsh when he was there. I'll  try and post some pictures of the Godwits, White-rumps, Black Bellies (including a fresh juv.) and Dowitchers etc. to my shorebird photo album later tonight or tomorrow.

http://mvnu.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2012649&l=ec659&id=164901416

Good Birding,    - Ben