OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

From:
Marie Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marie Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 05:46:37 -0400
I know at least some of you are also subscribed to the SE Michigan
listserv but I assume others aren't.  For those I decided to post the
following.

Subject: Rufous Hummingbird in Clinton County
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:04:59 -0400

Birders,
Yesterday I received a report of an unusual hummingbird near Dewitt,
Clinton
County. The homeowner gave me permission to band the bird this morning,
which turned out to be an adult female Rufous Hummingbird. But the
homeowner
does not wish to allow birders access to see the bird. I post this so
that
everyone is aware that now is the time when odd hummingbirds often
make an
appearance, and you should keep your eyes open at your own feeders, and
encourage non-birders with "weird" hummingbirds to get in touch with
someone
about it.

This morning after I read this I went outside and got my neglected
feeder down
(bad person!) cleaned it up and cooked a fresh batch of sugar water.
Just in
case.

Mary, Fairborn, OH