OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

From:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:23:30 -0400
Don,

In my experience (~3000 Ruby-throats banded since 2000), juvenile
Ruby-throats can show a few pinfeathers growing in as late as early
September, mainly on the body, but not on the wing or tail. Adults molt all
their body feathers after nesting and before migrating in the fall, which is
usually during August. This is not well documented in the scientific
literature, and is one of the objectives of my own hummingbird research - to
clarify and document the molt cycles of these birds.

I'm glad that Tim was able to get over to band this bird. It truly is an
oddity. Perhaps it had an encounter with a predator and has had to grow back
all the feathers on it's rear half?

Allen Chartier
1442 West River Park Drive
Inkster, MI  48141
Website: http://www.amazilia.net
Michigan HummerNet: http://www.amazilia.net/MIHummerNet
Every day, the hummingbird eats its own weight in food.
You may wonder how it weighs the food. It doesn't.
It just eats another hummingbird.
---Steven Wright