OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

From:
Brian Menker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Menker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 23:08:18 -0400
I checked the beach at Buck Creek State Park (Clark County) during lunch
today, and easily found the previously reported Red Phalarope at about
12:15 p.m.  It was at the north end of the beach just past the low
concrete retaining wall that holds the sand in place.  It was walking in
the cobblestones along the shore near a beached buoy.
I went over later after work at about 4:15 and it was still there. This
time it was resting among the stones near where the concrete drainage
ditch empties into the lake; just a few yards to the right of where I
saw it earlier.  It sat quietly as I watched it and a Least Sandpiper
from about 25 feet away.
The best spot to park for this bird is not at the beach parking lots.
Continue past the beach lots and make a left at the intersection. Follow
that to a lot that is between the beach and the boat ramp.  You will be
able to park just about 40 yards from the end of the beach where the
bird was.

There was a decent group of gulls at the beach, mostly Ring-billed, but
several Herring and Bonaparte's were mixed in. (Unfortunately no
Sabine's Gulls- I was among the day-too-laters last Friday in St.
Marys.)

A Red-breasted Nuthatch continues to frequent the feeders at the CJ
Brown Visitor Center across the lake from the Buck Creek beach.

Brian Menker
Dayton/Springfield

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10/2/2007 6:43 PM