OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

From:
Philip Chaon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Philip Chaon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 20:31:38 -0700
Hi all,

            After reading Craig's report of Red Crossbill, I decided to make the whopping 4 mile drive to Dike 14. While there was no crossbill when I got there (though I thought I might have heard on go over), there were large numbers of sparrows. Most suprisingly was the difference between the species found at the fence along the dike near the boat ramp and around the parking lot at the Cleveland Lakefront State Park headquarters (the one with all the Scotch Pines) a 1/4 mile away.

  At Dike 14 near the boat ramp:

  Savannah Sparrow -9
  Lincolns Sparrow -3
  Swamp Sparrow - 17 mostly in the Dike along the low area near large above ground pipe.
  Field Sparrow -2
  Song Sparrow-6
  Lark Sparrow- 1 young bird almost fully into first winter plumage, seemed very tall in grass (long legged), tail pattern obvious in flight.
  White-throated Sparrow-4
  Palm Warbler- 14
  Yellow-rumped Warbler - 5
  Eastern Pheobe -1

  Upper Parking Area - CLSP:
  Chipping Sparrow - 63
  Clay-colored Sparrow - 1 adult nonbreeding
  White-crowned Sparrow - 18
  White-throated Sparrow-1
  Dark-eyed Junco-29
  Song Sparrow-1
  Swamp Sparrow -2
  Purple Finch - 5 flying over
  Red Crossbill ???? heard something that sounded good but not confident about it
  Golden-crowned Kinglet -7
  Ruby-crowned Kinglet -13
  Red-breasted Nuthatch - 58 highest count I've ever seen anywhere
  Nashville Warbler- 1
  Black-throated Green Warbler - 1

  I'm going to try to get back there tomorrow. Also out of interest, has anyone in Toledo area been checking out that one cemetary that always get's crossbills in good numbers in invasion year (sorry i'm blanking on the name). As I recall that is probably the best place for winter finches in the state.

  Good Birding,

  Phil Chaon

signature