OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:09:47 EDT
Hello!

This afternoon and evening, I hiked the Dripping Rock (~2:15-3:15 PM)  and
pet trails (~3:40-6:15 PM) at Highbanks.  Birds were somewhat sparse  along the
Dripping Rock trail with the following more notable birds:

Yellow-Rumped Warbler-6
Blue-Headed Vireo
Golden-Crowned Kinglet -6

Conversely, along the pet trail, there was much more activity with the
following birds seen and/or heard:

Orange-Crowned Warbler-1 along the tree line on north edge of the biggest
loop of the trail, mixed in with Yellow-Rumped Warblers and White-Throated
Sparrows.

Yellow-Rumped Warbler-at least 60 counted
Black-Throated Blue Warbler-1 male
Brown Creeper-2
Eastern Towhee-2
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet-4
Golden-Crowned Kinglet-3
Hermit Thrush-3 in the spur that "U's" to the north into the woods,
consistently seen in the area the last 2 weeks
A Wren Trifecta
    Carolina Wren-5
    Winter Wren-1 in the woods spur
    House Wren-2
Cedar Waxwing-2
Song Sparrow-6
Field Sparrow-3
White-Throated Sparrow-20
White-Crowned Sparrow
Red-Winged Blackbird-5
American Robin-at least 100, stopped counting after 50
Pileated Woodpecker
Red-Bellied Woodpecker-3
Downy Woodpecker-4
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Blue Jays, Chickadees, Titmice, Starlings, Cardinals, House Finch,
Goldfinches, Mallards, RT Hawk, and Great Blue Heron

Overall, nothing earth-shattering but an enjoyable autumn day out
nonetheless.  Directions to Highbanks can be accessed on the OOS web  page and at
_www.metroparks.net_ (http://www.metroparks.net) .

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio