OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 00:41:28 GMT
October 23, 2007

As the rest of the listserv buzzes with news of exciting birds, LeConte's sparrows and a goshawk, I am back at work in smoky southern California. A news item in the on-line electronic version (the same as the printed version) of today's Columbus Dispatch caught my attention, particularly because the large-type headline of the science feature proclaimed " DANGEROUS GREENS AND DIRTY BIRDS."

At tissue is the role of the European starling in the spread of E. coli, particularly having to do with contamination of produce intended for the human table. Research conducted in Ohio is cited, so I feel it is an appropriate point of discussion here: wild birds naturally occurring in Ohio.

The starling is not my favorite bird, but I worry about public scares incited by news reporting. I can imagine the under-informed reacting with an attitude that "starlings are deadly." It reminds me a little of the scares about black vultures. A calm, scientific search for the truth is desired.

A couple "facts" reported particularly caught my attention.

The article states, "The birds eat grain intended for cows at feedlots or devastate sunflower crops by gobbling down the seeds. At the same time, they wade through cow manure, possibly picking up E. coli."

Oh really? I own a farm with about twenty five sheep, forty or so when lambs are still present, and I also feed birds. I have not noticed starlings particularly attracted to sunflower or to any seed for that matter. They seem to prefer the suet feeder, which is a regular site of squabbles and fights. I have much more of an issue with house sparrows, another "delightful" immigrant, who regularly raid any unprotected grain intended for feed.

As I indicated, the starling is not my favorite bird, but unsubstantiated accusations about certain species concern me more.

Has anyone out there noticed starlings with a penchant for sunflower? How about raiding grain bins?

I will probably send my comments to the reporter, Kevin Mayhood, but I want to get my own facts straight first. Mr. Mayhood reports on research being conducted at Wooster at the USDA National Wildlife Research Center. The scientists conducting the research may have a very interesting project, banding and attaching radio transmitters to 500 starlings to track their movements. They also may delight in the publicity and wince at the spin. (I will confess that this is conjecture on my own part.)

It may turn out that starlings are the plague as reported, but the research still seems to be in the hypothesis stage.

Time will tell.

Comments are welcome, on or off list.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County
(currently trying to breathe about two miles from the "Santiago Fire" in Orange County, California)

PS: The on-line version of the Columbus Dispatch is a paid subscription service, unlike the New York Times, Los Angeles Times and many other prominent newspapers (a fact which irks me more than the reporting.) This is the reason I have not provided a link to the article.