OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2007 08:37:09 -0700
Allen,

Thanks for your response. Yes, finding birds that were banded in Michigan
would be a great way to find out if the LeConte's showing up in Ohio came
from there. I was just wondering where the birds came from from a more
general standpoint. They really do seem to fluctuate in their numbers at
various points in their breeding range. I was just wondering if when they
nest further east in numbers than usual that results in more of them showing
up in Ohio during the fall. I wish I could find more data on them. This web
page gives some figures from the ND/MT part of their range but it's over 10
years old :

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/popchng/index.htm#tab1

Is anyone keeping track of the general abundance of LeConte's in the UP from
year to year?  Of course there is a huge chuck of the LeConte's eastern
range further north in Canada that is inaccessible and probably gets no
attention at all from anyone. The UP probably gets more rain and more
regularly than the western part of the LeConte's range, but some years is it
too much for LeConte's? Henslow's probably moved around in a similar way
back in the days when the prairies were undisturbed and before reclaimed
strip mines provided reliable habitat for them annually. The habitat used by
LeConte's is similar to Henslow's in that they always use only grasslands
that have a lot of dead grass on the ground for nesting and avoid annually
mowed grasslands.  The year I distinctly remember not finding any LeConte's
at the Muniscong Bay WMA was a year that they did burns and no dead grass
was available to them.

In any case, they're beautiful and fascinating birds and would make a great
project for someone to study.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com