OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

From:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:42:33 -0400
Paul,

Yes, I banded this bird this morning, and encouraged the homeowner to post
that birders are welcome, as she told me we were. This immature male Rufous
Hummingbird is not yet showing any rufous in the back, just a little rufous
on the upper tail coverts and base of the tail. But, it is molting and as
the season wears on it will probably get more rufous. The current definitive
way to ID the bird is to get a good look at the tail feathers. The next one
out from the center has a very distinct "notch" shape, diagnostic for
Rufous. The outer tail feather appears rather narrow, but measured in the
middle of the range for immature male Rufous, and was broader (by 0.42mm)
than the widest Allen's.

Allen Chartier
1442 West River Park Drive
Inkster, MI  48141
Website: http://www.amazilia.net
Michigan HummerNet: http://www.amazilia.net/MIHummerNet
Every day, the hummingbird eats its own weight in food.
You may wonder how it weighs the food. It doesn't.
It just eats another hummingbird.
---Steven Wright