OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

From:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:06:35 -0400
In a nice afternoon walk with my wife and 2 kids, I was able to come
across a couple noteworthy birds out at the Darby Lakes area of Prairie Oaks
Metro Park.  First one was a flyover Wilson's Snipe--that is, flyover until
he decided to make a 90 degree turn and plummet straight down to the
ground!  He must have some phenomenal air-braking ability if he didn't
just plunge himself into the shoreline mud--that was on the north shore of
the southernmost lake.  Also saw 3 Killdeer at that spot.  A little later, I
saw 2 Tree Swallows flying north across the lakes--maybe they're taking the
long way around to South America. ;)  Other than that and some more common
species, there were about 6 Ring-necked Ducks, a couple Redheads, a
Pied-billed Grebe, 20 Coots, 8 Canada Geese, and about 10 Mallards out on
the water.

-Nate Nye
Hilliard, OH