OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

From:
Brian Menker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Menker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 19:45:26 -0400
Larry Jeanblanc and I arrived to look for the phalarope at Buck Creek
State Park just before 8 am.  It wasn't at the north end of the beach
right away, so we walked down to look through the gulls.  There were
about 200 ring-billeds, 10-15 Herring Gulls, and an amazing 8 Franklin's
Gulls.

I stayed to photograph the gulls for a while and Larry walked down to
the south end where he found a Ruddy Turnstone.  When I was done with
the camera, I turned around and quickly saw the phalarope in the same
area it has frequented at the north end of the beach.  Larry and I
watched it for 30-45 minutes and showed it to a birder named John from
Mason who had come to find it.
After they left I got some very good close photos of it by sitting at
the edge of the grass as it walked and swam less than 20 feet away.
I will post some shots on the OOS Forum later tonight.

I decided to walk down to find the turnstone.  As I got towards the
middle of the beach, a Merlin flew over, stirring all the birds up.  It
landed in a tree by the beach restroom briefly, then flew north.  I
didn't find the turnstone, only some Killdeer and Horned Larks.  As I
walked back, scanning the shore, I saw the Merlin sitting at the water's
edge bathing!  I got some distant photos of the bird standing in the
water all fluffed up.  It flew up, did a short aerial dance with a
Kestrel, then they both landed in the same tree.  It was great to see
the size comparison.

Larry and Lenna Mae Gara arrived just then (~9:30) I tried to show them
the Merlin, but it flew just as they were trying to scope it. Their
consolation was a Northern Harrier flying by right after the Merlin
left. Charlotte Mathena arrived and we all tried to find the Red
Phalarope to no avail.  The Merlin likely scared it off.

There were still at least 2 Franklin's Gulls on the beach, plus we
spotted 2 Forster's Terns and a Common Tern among the gulls. Another
birder joined us and we saw an Osprey overhead.  We continued to look
for the phalarope until about 12:30 and gave up.
It may still be around.  It has shown an affinity to the north end of
the beach for several days now.

Brian Menker
Dayton/Springfield

Checked by AVG Free Edition.