OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2007 00:38:43 -0400
The Columbus Audubon field trip this morning focused on migrants, spending time at both the New Galena boat ramp (on ALum Lake) and Oxbow Island (on Hoover Reservoir). New Galena had a nice mix of landbird migrants and some waterfowl, while Oxbow was fairly good for landbirds.  Highlights included

Waterfowl - Along with the expected Mallards & Geese, we found Pied-billed Grebes (5 at NG), Wood Duck, Black Ducks, Blue-winged Teal, and Green-winged Teal, as well as a flock of Coots (NG)

Waders - a Great Egret was unusual at New Galena.  Both sites had few shorebirds other than Kildeer.

Raptors - not much unusual, other than one Osprey at each site.  Both were fishing while we were at each site, so they may be trying to fatten up for impending migration.

Flycatchers,Swallows - Phoebes were at each site, but oddly no swallows or swifts were at either site.

Blue Jays - 110 passed over the boat ramp in the first hour that we were there, and more were lingering in the trees around the launch parking lot. There was hardly a moment in the first hour at NG when we didn't have a few in the air.

Nuthatch, Kinglets - New Galena had both species of Nuthatch and both species of Kinglet (including my first Golden-crowned of the season)

Vireos - only 1 was found, a Red-eyed at Oxbow

Thrushes, Mimids - no thrushes other than Robins, but several Catbirds were at both sites, and 2 Mockingbirds were hanging around the NG boat ramp.

Warblers - plenty of Yellow-rumps at each site, but picking through them produced a decent list of others, including Nashville, Tennessee, Bl.-thr.Green, Magnolia, Cape May, Bay-breasted

Sparrows - still largely AWOL, with only a few White-throats at Oxbow notable

Blackbirds - a few small groups of redwings, grackles, and Cowbirds passed over the NG boat launch, but no big numbers

The New Galena boat launch had quite a bit of activity early (between 8:30-9:30), but activity declined as it warmed up.  Oxbow was already fairly warm when we arrived there, so no big groups of migrants were noted except a warbler flock around the first parking area.