OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

From:
"Bruce M. Bowman" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 23:40:42 -0400
Here are some 1994 directions to the Haehnle Preserve.  They still work!
The Haehnle Preserve is in Jackson County, Michigan, the next county west
of Washtenaw County (Ann Arbor).  In Toledo take I-280 north to I-75
SOUTH to I-475 West to U.S. 23 North to I-94 West.

Bruce Bowman

>From the east, take I-94 westbound to the Race Rd. exit. This is the
3rd exit after entering Jackson County. Go N on Race Rd about 3 miles
until it ends at Seymour Rd. Turn left (W). The Phyllis Haehnle
Memorial Sanctuary is located just off the N side of Seymour Rd about
2 miles W of where you entered it from Race Rd. It is posted. There
is an empty field that serves as a parking lot. After parking, walk
E from the parking lot to the Sanctuary entry, then follow the trail
about 200 yards NE up a slight rise from which you overlook a marshland
and lake (one of many called Mud Lake in this part of the world). The
cranes may be there in small numbers, but main arrival is just before
it starts to get dark. Peak numbers late October, maybe into early
November, depending on weather. Binoculars are very helpful. A tele-
scope even better, as the birds land some distance from the observing
site on the hilltop.

Date sent:              Tue, 9 Oct 2007 22:39:13 -0400
Send reply to:          Arthur Osborn <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Arthur Osborn <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                [Ohio-birds] Whooping Crane 75 miles NW of Toledo
To:                     [log in to unmask]