OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

From:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:14:53 -0400
Monday I had the day off and decided to combine motorcycle riding with
birding and ended up in God's country (on the map that is shown as Adams
County). I birded one end of Rocky Fork Lake SP, Brush Creek SF, and The
Wilderness Trail (part of Edge of Appalachia). I stopped at the Edge of
Appalachia office I ran into Lucy, the better half of the better half of
the Whan birding brothers. At the Wilderness Trail I found a Junco and
thought I heard a Brown Creeper.

At Rocky Fork the best birds were a Northern Harrier and a male Purple
Finch, the first male of the species I have seen. At Brush Creek SF the
best bird was Philadelphia Vireo. While resting on the trail I tried to
imagine what it must have been like to be sitting there with 50,000
passenger pigeons eating the acorns overhead.

I had a male Scarlet Tanager from the deck behind the Edge of Appalachia
office.

Overall I had 56 species of birds.

Good Birding

John Habig