OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

From:
ben fambrough <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 19:48:18 -0400
Thanks to all who emailed. Keep them coming.

I found the Wake Robin trail by internet search and left Cleveland Heights around 4:30. I can not believe that I've been visiting Headlands all this time and not known about this little gold mine of a boardwalk. Lots of sparrow activity.

Jerry T. was there in place. He had a tailless Le Conte's staked out as well as a Grasshopper Sparrow. I saw both many times. Those guys sure don't stay up for very long, however. If I were free tomorrow morning, I would be back at first light. I believe Jerry said he had Nelson's Earlier in the day.

To find this gem, go north on 44 from either 2 or 90 as you would normally for Headlands. Go east (left) on 283 (it's the overpass). Then right (north) on Corduroy Rd. Take the first left after passing over the marsh and on the left hand side, near the end of this road (sorry, did not note the name), there is a fenced gravel parking lot. The trail head and boardwalk leave from there. The sparrows were right along the first little pond. Great habitat.

Now, can I find a sparrow with a sharp tail? Call or email, if you can help. Thanks. I am going to try tomorrow evening or Monday.

Ben Fambrough
Cleveland Heights
(216) 990-9162