CLEANACCESS Archives

November 2007

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Bruce A. Locke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:07:14 -0500
On Friday I upgraded our CCA servers from 4.1.2.0 to 4.1.2.1 and pushed
the upgrade from agent version 4.1.2.0 to 4.1.2.2 to our users.

Unfortunately it looks like at least 100 people (estimate based on the
heavy call volume to our helpdesk over the past two days) encountered an
error during the autoupdate of CCA.  In particular an Error 1316 occurs
during what appears to be the uninstall phase.  The error refers to an
MSI file in a temporary directory that does not exist in that directory.

I witnessed this error on my own laptop that is definitely clean of
spyware and the most exotic software on it is Symantec Corporate and
Windows Defender.  The issue is affecting both Windows XP and Vista
users.  The installer on our website has been the appropriate name as
suggested by the readme file.

Our workaround is to have users manually uninstall the CCA agent and
download the regular CCA installer.  Both work fine if done manually.

Has anyone else experienced this?

(At this point this experience has soured us to ever trying to do a
mid-semester upgrade ever again which means we've backed away more
involve AV then an optional nag due to the inability to upgrade without
problems.)

--

Bruce A. Locke
HAB 50 - (845) 257-3809

Network Administrator
Computer Services
State University of New York at New Paltz