OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2007 00:21:35 -0500
Stuck close to home the last two days, I took advantage of local greenbelts.  Big Walnut Creek winds along the east edge of Columbus, where its corridor is 'broken' into several long islands of riparian forest.  Two of the bigger tracts occur in east Columbus/Whitehall and Gahanna.  The Columbus/Whitehall Big Walnut greenbelt is huge, but mostly private, with access only at the north and south ends, at Whitehall Community Park and Big Walnut Park, respectively.  The Gahanna Big Walnut greenbelt is narrower, but has many more access points, and even has a bikepath along much of its length.  Visiting both greenbelts the past two days found the last bits of migration and a few unusual winter residents already in.  Highlights included

Woodpeckers - lots of the expected Red-bellies and Downies, but both had single Pileated Woodpeckers and Big Walnut Park had a sapsucker.  Pileateds are rare year-round residents of both of these greenbelts, and sapsuckers are rare but expected winter residents.

Nuthatches - White-breasted Nuthatches are common in both greenbelts, but 2 Red-br.Nuthatches were in the Gahanna greenbelt today.  I even had 1 at my home feeders for a yard first.

Wrens,Kinglets - Carolinas are abundant in both greenbelts, but Winter Wrens are a good prize and one was at Big Walnut Park.  Golden-cr.Kinglets were at Whitehall Community Park and in the Gahanna greenbelt

Thrushes - no Hermit thrushes yet, but there are still E. Bluebirds and Robins in both greenbelts.  They'll probably stay here until the honeysuckle berries run out.

Sparrows - all of the resident Chipping and Fields appear to have departed from both greenbelts, and have been replaced by lots of Song and White-throated Sparrows.  The Gahanna greenbelt also had single Swamp and Fox Sparrows, which can stay quite deep into winter here.

Blackbirds - we can get some modest Fall roosts in each of these greenbelts, but right now little is left other than a few straggling Redwinged Blackbirds.

Finches - Lots of goldfinches have appeared in both greenbelts, and are even more common at feeders in neighboring yards.  A single Pine Siskin was at Big walnut Park for yet another record for this species during this exceptional Fall for them.