OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 05:47:04 -0800
Dan Sanders, Andy Sewell and I made a swing through northwestern Ohio
yesterday, November 18.

Our first stop was the quarry pond on Rt. 33 about 3 miles west of New
Hampshire in Auglaise County. The mixed flock of geese reported by Troy Shivley
last week remained.

ROSS'S GOOSE - 2
Snow goose - ~25 mostly blue morphs
Canada - ~150

The Lima reservoirs were a bust. We found large flocks of ruddy ducks, a few
bufflehead, and a single red-breasted merganser.

We realized our path northward along I-75 to Oak Openings would take us by
Blufton. We whipped off the interstate, drove across Blufton catching all the
lights green, rolled in front of Linda Houshower's home and found the RUFOUS
HUMMINGBIRD sipping from the feeder. (With luck like this, maybe we should try
a big day.)

At the Nature Center at Oak Openings, we found a good mix of winter birds. We
lingered for a while, then headed back to the car. As we were half-way across
the parking lot, Dan Barda ran out and yelled "Red-Crossbill"!. We ran back in
and were able to get remarkable looks at an immature male drinking from the
pool. It disappeared after a minute, but a post on Rarebird.org indicates it
was back later in the day.

Highlights at Oak Openings:

Red-breasted Nuthatch - 3
Purple Finch -2, one of each sex
RED CROSSBILL - 1 immature male

Our final stop was Maumee Bay State Park, where we spent a great deal of time
beating the weeds in the northwestern quadrant of the park looking for the
previously reported common redpolls. We dipped on them and snow buntings. The
feeders at the closed nature center were drawing only the expected backyard
birds. At the beach and "lagoon", a flock of about 80 Canada Geese included one
snow goose and one very distinctive CACKLING GOOSE, about half the size of the
Canadas with a very stubby bill.

Notable Species at Maumee

CACKLING GOOSE
Snow Goose
Canada Goose
Herring Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Bonaparte's Gull
American Tree Sparrow

We ended the day having missed three of our target species: Common Redpoll,
Pine Siskin and Snow Bunting. On the other hand, it was the only time I've seen
three review list species (Cackling Goose, Ross's Goose, and Rufous
Hummingbird) in a single day. Oddly enough, the best bird of the day, Red
Crossbill, was not among them. Such is Ohio birding.

Happy Thanksgiving all,

Paul Gardner
Columbus, OH