OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:48:35 -0500
Hi All:

Paul Gardner, Dan Sanders and I went exploring the NW part of the state
yesterday, with some pretty good finds. Our first stop was the recently
decommissioned gravel pit operation outside of New Hampshire along US 33 in
Auglaize County, where Troy Shively had reported Cackling and Ross's Geese
in with Canada and Snow Geese. We found the flock on one of the ponds, but
it got up before we could sort through them and landed in a nearby field.
Fortunately, this probably afforded us even better looks at the birds. We
weren't able to pick out any Cackling Geese from the Canadas, but amongst 25
Snow Geese (both blue and white phases) were three white phase ROSS'S GEESE.
The Canada Geese included some darker and smaller than usual individuals
that people better versed with the subspecies of Canada Goose might want to
look at. A Northern Harrier flew over the pond, but didn't seem to faze any
of the Mallards and Green-winged Teals still there.

Our next stop were the Lima Reservoirs, which featured Ruddy Ducks as the
main bird. Also present were some Bufflehead and Hooded Mergansers. We
looked for Snow Buntings along the dikes but did not see any. Curiously, we
saw another Northern Harrier flying quickly over the reservoirs.

On our way to the Oak Openings, we stopped at Bluffton to see the Rufuous
Hummingbird, which was on the feeder as we rolled up, then flew off. We then
observed a kettle of about 8 Red-tailed Hawks and a single Turkey Vulture at
the Monclovia exit off 475.

Our stop at Oak Openings was great. It was the first visit to this metropark
for me, and Dan Sanders pointed out all the spots where good birds had been
observed in the past. Our goal was the nature center feeders, where we spent
about 45 minutes. The feeders were very lively, with a male and female
Purple Finch, numerous American Goldfinches, several White-breasted
Nuthatches, at least 3 Red-breasted Nuthatches, a Blue Jay, Red-bellied and
Downy Woodpeckers, Black-capped Chickadees, Tufted Titmouses (Titmice?), and
Dark-eyed Junco. After about 45 minutes, we had decided we'd seen all that
we'd likely see there and headed out of the nature center back to the car.
About halfway there, Dan Barda came rushing out of the center yelling
"CROSSBILL!!!"  We looked at each other and sprinted back into the center,
where a male RED CROSSBILL was drinking from the water station. I'm not
certain about this, but it seemed like the bird was completing a molt from
juvenile to adult plumage - I don't know anything about molt timing in
crossbills, so maybe it was just the fact that this was the closest look
I've ever had at a Red Crossbill! A photo of the bird is up at the
rarebirds.org website -
http://www.rarebird.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2447 (I noted that Bill
Whan's posting of the bird to Ohio-birds took place about 1 minute after we
called him, so that's service for you).

After that bit of excitement, we hit Pearson Park's nature center, which was
House Finch central, along with goldfinches and a Red-breasted Nuthatch. No
irruptive finches were seen here, but it looks like a good spot for them to
show up.

We finished the day at Maumee Bay State Park, where we tramped around
looking for Common Redpolls and Snow Buntings, which we were unable to find.
A great consolation prize was a single CACKLING GOOSE in with a flock of
Canada Geese and a single white-phase Snow Goose. The geese were on the
sheltered beach near the pavilion, and we had very good looks at the bird,
which was about a third the size of the Canadas it was with, and had a
stubby bill and short neck.

All in all, a satisfying day in NW Ohio!

Andy Sewell

Columbus, Ohio

  _____