OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:30:26 -0500
I thought I'd pass this on to everyone...the Christmas Bird Count season is
rapidly approaching.  I look forward to these events every year and I'm
trying to figure out how to squeeze in as many as I can.  In my planning
efforts, I was unable to find one source of info that contained current date
and compiler info for each count coming up for the 07/08 season.

I should have explored the OOS site (www.ohiobirds.org) more thoroughly to
look for this info because there's a very handy winter bird count section (
http://www.ohiobirds.org/calendar/winter_counts/winter.php - which is under
the calendar side bar menu).  This section even has an interactive map that
shows all count circles that you can click on to access compiler info, etc.
As far as I'm able to tell the majority of count circles have updated count
dates for this season.  If not, the appropriate contact info is listed so
you can find out.

While I'm on the topic of useful things that can be found at the OOS
website...I was recently blown away by the weekly checklist tool available
at (http://www.ohiobirds.org/publications/checklist/weekly/weeklylist.php).
Not sure why I never came across this in the past.  Basically, the checklist
tool asks you for the date that you'll be birding and generates a one page
PDF checklist of species particular to a 5 week period surrounding that date
(who needs a big list of warblers on a checklist when you're birding in
mid-November!).  This a real gem.  I know of no other state birding website
that has such a useful web application.

Good birding!

Aaron Boone
Columbus, Ohio