OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
Greg Links <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:46:07 -0800
Ohio Birders,

I received a call this morning from Matt Anderson around 9:30am that he had just discovered a female PINE GROSBEAK in the Oak Openings.  I met him out there 30 minutes later, and he showed me where he last saw it.

I stayed for the next 2 hours, in the pouring cold rain (in work clothes!), really working the birds in the area.  At just before noon, in response to a screech-owl whistle, the Pine Grosbeak flew from the thicket (from exactly where Matt had last seen it), over my head by only 10 feet or so, called in flight and landed on behind me on the south side of Obee Road.  I watched it for just a few seconds, and it flew up and across route 295, and perched in the top of a bare tree directly over Swan Creek, on the west side of route 295.  I watched it for the next 15 minutes as it sat on the top of the tree, calling beautifully.  I had called Matt to tell him I re-found it, so he pulled up on Obee road - I turned around to wave him over, turned back, and the bird was gone from its prominent perch.

I believe this bird will stick around, as there is TONS of food for it in this area.  There may even be more!!  Also, there are GOBS and GOBS of waxwings.  Matt and I were not able find any Bohemians, but I predict someone will at this location very soon (I had 2 Bohemians only 2 miles over the Ohio line last Sunday).

From US 23/475, take Route 2 (Airport Highway) west to state route 295.  Go south on 295 (there is a little jog - just stay with the 295 signs), past Oak Openings park.  Obee Road is just 1 street south of Oak Openings Parkway.  The honeysuckle thicket/grosbeak spot is right at the junction of Obee and 295.

Good luck!

Greg Links
Somewhere Near Toledo