OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2007 00:09:19 -0500
Hi all,

The Pine Grosbeak remained amazingly faithful to his patch of Amur
Honeysuckle this morning, in exactly the same place as in prior reports. A
bit before 10:30, we heard it calling and shortly thereafter the bird sailed
into the top of the Hackberry tree just east of the gate mentioned in other
reports. It sat teed up like a golf ball for a few minutes, rewarding all
present with excellent looks, then dove into the honeysuckle.

Later this afternoon, Brian Zwiebel and I instantly found the Sabine's Gull
at Huron upon reaching the lighthouse at the end of the pier. This bird is
totally fixated on this site and was rarely out of view, either loafing in
the nearby waters or making predictable flights up and down the jetty. So
enamored were we with this graceful rarity that we spent over three hours
out there watching it. We also saw Ring-billed, Herring, Great Black-backed,
Lesser Black-backed, and of course thousands of Bonaparte's. Little Gull was
seen by others there today, for a total of seven gull species along the
pier. The gulling is outstanding, and the Sabine's alone is well worth the
visit. Keep your eyes peeled for Black-legged Kittiwake there, too.

I got some decent photos of these birds, and will stick them up on my blog
sometime after getting some rest.

Jim

Jim McCormac

Columbus, Ohio