OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
AARON BOONE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AARON BOONE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:00:57 -0500
I'm going to go ahead and reply to Bill's question to the listserve as I believe this will be useful to pretty much anyone who participates in Christmas Bird Counts and wishes to do a bit of research for a territory before-hand.

There is a Google Earth circle generator at the following link.  Keep in mind, however, that Google Earth must be downloaded on your computer to use this web tool but it is free.

http://dev.bt23.org/keyhole/circlegen/

Once at the link, all you need to do is enter the count circle center coordinates and use the radius conversion of "12070.08" (7.5 miles).

The best way to locate a circle's center coordinates is by going to the Audubon CBC website and creating a table of results for the count of interest.

http://cbc.audubon.org/cbccurrent/current_table.html

If you generate a data table from last year's count, you will see the count coordinates listed in decimal degrees in the blue header title under the count title.  Remember to include the 'negative' sign in front of the longitude number because we're in the western hemisphere.  Click Go next to the radius field and you are directed to a link that downloads a KML layer file that can be directly opened in Google Earth.

Hope this helps.

Aaron Boone
Columbus, Ohio