OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:29:38 -0800
Greetings---there was a BRANT at Evans L. (Mahoning Co.) this afternoon.  It was grazing in a cow pasture directly across from the spillway (north end of the lake) where Yellow Creek meanders through.  It is hanging out with a modest flock of Canada geese.  It was also seen flying with Canadas over the lake once.  It is an immature bird.  Upon consulting Peterjohn's Birds of Ohio, I was quite surprised to learn that there is one previous record for the county--from Evans L. !  This lake also is the site of Ohio's only record for large-billed tern.  This lake is now owned by Aqua Ohio, and has no boating or hunting as far as I know.  So there is no disturbance to the many birds which gather there.  Large numbers of gulls are usually present until freeze-up.  Be advised that the No Trespassing signs at this and the other Aqua Ohio lakes in the region are not just there for show.  Just don't go beyond the signs and you won't be bothered.  Other birds of note at Evans L. today
 were 5 tundra swans, n. shovelers, 2 canvasbacks, c. goldeneye, 60 hooded mergansers, ruddy duck, common loon, pied-billed grebes, a late great egret, 2 bald eagles, 1000 ring-billed gulls, and herring gulls.  More thorough searching might reveal a rarer gull, but I was short on time.  At nearby Pine L. I found n. shovelers, hooded mergs, ruddy ducks, p-b grebes, 2 bald eagles, 500 ring-billed gulls, and herring gulls.  Both lakes are drawn down, so a late shorebird may also show up.  Closer to home, a male n. harrier is back on wintering grounds in Coitsville Twp.  Later, Craig