OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:53:11 -0800
Hey all -

Woke up late for work this morning and decided to go
to Huron instead.  The juvie Sabine's Gull was
ridiculous, hanging out only feet off the pier pretty
much the entire time.  I even heard it vocalize.  A
Toldeo man and I searched high & low for both Little
Gull and Black-legged Kittiwake, as he needed both,
and none were seen.  But, of course, there are loads
of gulls in the immediate area and these birds are
most likely still somewhere near.

The other highlight was a first-yr NORTHERN GANNET,
which flapped slowly by, heading west.  It passed
fairly close to the lighthouse and continued along the
edge of the impoundment and out of sight, never to
return.  I spent some time at the lighthouse, watching
the lake, but nothing else unusual passed by.  This
would be a good site for a jaeger, Purple Sandpiper,
or other oddity.

Good birding -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland