OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2007 21:39:30 -0500
Hi everyone,

December 1st is the weekend of the Ohio Conservation Symposium, held jointly
by the Ohio Chapter of The Nature Conservancy and the Ohio Ornithological
Society. Our keynote speaker is Scott Weidensaul, author, speaker, and
conservationist. His latest book just came out this year - "Of a Feather: A
Brief History of American Birding" - and it is already a classic. Scott is
but one of a fine slate of speakers that will be talking about different
topics on Saturday. Go to the OOS website at www.ohiobirds.org
<http://www.ohiobirds.org/>  to see all of the details and a registration
form.

We welcome you to come to all of the conference, or any part thereof. If you
are able to, please join us. The event is being held at Deer Creek Resort,
just south of Columbus, and as we've seen from a number of recent reports,
the birding can be very good in this area. For those so inclined, we'll have
field trips to the best birding sites on Sunday. Maybe the Northern Shrike
that visits annually will have returned by then, as well as some Sandhill
Cranes.

Thanks to the generosity of our members, the OOS has been able to assist TNC
in acquiring some very significant Ohio bird habitat, and we will share the
details of our collaboration at the conference. It is encouraging to see
birders looking beyond the list, and actively participating in conservation
actions that will allow the next generation to go afield and see Cerulean
Warblers, Henslow's Sparrows, Upland Sandpipers, and our other birds.

I hope to see you there, and if you have any questions about this
conference, please let me know.

Jim

Jim McCormac

Columbus, Ohio