OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
"Bruce M. Bowman" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 13:44:59 -0500
I did a study of suet cake "flavor" preferences a few years ago.  A
peanut-based suet was the clear winner.  A writeup is below and at these
two links:

  http://www.umich.edu/~bbowman/birds/se_mich/links.html#misc
  http://www.umich.edu/~bbowman/birds/suetpref.txt

Bruce Bowman
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Suet Cake Preferences Study

 Type
 ID #    Suet name

   1     Heath Blend
   2     Heath Orange Burst
   3     Heath Peanutty Raisin
   4     Heath Apple Dough

Test description: Suet cake halves are side by side in the same hanging
suet feeder.  The feeder has a wooden frame around the suet.  The lower
portion of the frame serves as a tail prop for woodpeckers.  Squirrels
are not able to reach the feeder.

This study was conducted in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in June/July 2003.
Bruce Bowman <[log in to unmask]>

Test Results

Test               Type and
 No.   Date      amount eaten           Birds observed
 1   06/28/03   1   5%  3  100%   downie,hairy,red-belly,flicker
 2   06/30/03   2  25%  3   75%      same plus a starling
 3   07/04/03   1  67%  4   83%            "      "
 4   07/07/03   2  35%  4   95%            "      "
 5   07/12/03   1  60%  2   80%            "      "
 6   07/18/03   3  83%  4   50%            "      "
 7*  07/23/03   3  50%  4   83%   *plus blue jay & grackles
 8   07/28/03   1   ?   2    ?       (study terminated)

* aberrant result? - excluded from analysis

Analysis of results for suet types 1, 2, 3, and 4

  Suet Type

  1 - Heath Blend - liked less than all others

      Test 1 - liked FAR less than Peanutty Raisin
      Test 3 - liked less than Apple Dough
      Test 5 - liked less than Orange Burst

  2 - Heath Orange Burst - 2nd worst; liked only slightly more than Blend

      Test 2 - liked much less than Peanutty Raisin
      Test 4 - liked much less than Apple Dough
      Test 5 - liked more than Blend

  3 - Heath Peanutty Raisin - easily the best liked

      Test 1 - liked GREATLY more than Blend
      Test 2 - liked much more than Orange Burst
      Test 6 - liked significantly more than Apple Dough, the second best

  4 - Heath Apple Dough - easily the 2nd best liked but not close to the
best

      Test 3 - liked more than Blend
      Test 4 - liked much more than Orange Burst
      Test 6 - liked significantly less than Peanutty Raisin

Note: These tests were done in mid summer.  A similar study conducted in
winter might produce different results.

Summary

 Rank   Suet name                           Comment

   1    Heath Peanutty Raisin (ID = 3)      the clear winner
   2    Heath Apple Dough (ID = 4)          2nd but not close to 1st
   3    Heath Orange Burst (ID = 2)         not close to 2nd
   4    Heath Blend (ID = 1)                even worse than 3rd

Recommendation

     If using Heath brand suet cakes always put out two types, Peanutty
Raisin and Apple Dough.  You may need to stock nearly twice as much
Peanutty Raisin as Apple Dough.  Don't use either Blend or Orange Burst.

While other brands of suet cakes were not tested, the results of this
study suggest that peanut-based suet cakes of any brand will be the
single best choice for birds and feeder watchers.

     In the winter real suet is also relished by many feeder birds,
especially woodpeckers.  It should be put out in addition to the suet
cakes.

     As noted above, these tests were done in mid summer.  A similar
study conducted in winter might produce different results.  Also, results
of studies done in other parts of the country clearly could be different.

Bruce Bowman
Ann Arbor, Michigan
August 10, 2003