OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 22:07:31 -0500

My son was sick so I stayed home with him and had a chance watch the lake.  Things started out pretty good, but the increased numbers of birds did not materialize.  Around 7:20 I had a flock of 29 BRANT flying west.  Amongst the flock were two possible ROSS'S GEESE.  The geese were noticeably smaller than the brant.  Shortly after I had flocks of 26 black scoters and 4 surf scoters.  After that the only things moving other than 112 dunlin were gulls and red-breasted mergansers.

My feeders were very slow with the only finches being a handful of American goldfinches.

Lakeshore Reservation, North Perry, Lake CountyDate- November 7, 2007, Time- 700-1000Weather- cloudy, Wind- West 15-25 decreasing to 15-20Barometer- 30.22-30.27, Temperature- 38-37 FHumidity- 66, Dew point- 25-21Waves- 4-6 feet, Flight direction- west ROSS'S GOOSE   2
Canada goose   3
BRANT   29
Mallard   4
SURF SCOTER   4
BLACK SCOTER   26 Red-breasted merganser   345Common loon   19Horned grebe   1
Dunlin   112Bonaparte's gull   63Ring-billed gull   226Herring gull   74
Snow bunting   33

John Pogacnik