OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 18:33:20 -0500
The word for the morning was 'loons', as in lots of them on this reservoir north of Columbus.  I counted at least 45, with most of them being in the southern reaches of the lake, just above the dam or off New Galena.  There were also 6+ Horned Grebes, 2 cormorants, 12+ Lesser Scaup, 10 Ruddy Ducks, and small numbers of Mallards, Black Ducks, and Green-winged teal.  Small groups of Bonaparte's Gulls fluttered and dipped out over the lake.  Oddly, the middle reach of the lake, around the Cheshire bridge and Berlin Station access, was nearly devoid of waterfowl, which reverses the usual pattern.

Landbirds were definitely on the move as well, with the last migrants starting to head out before it gets too cold.  At New Galena, I had small flocks of Robins, waxwings, and blackbirds flying overhead, heading south, along with a few pipits, flickers, blue jays, and Yellow-rumped warblers.  Despite a good crop of grapes along the trails here, most of these birds were passing them by.  Instead, I found only the usual winter-hardy flocks of White-throated sparrows along with a few juncos, song sparrows, and fox sparrows.  Berlin Station had smaller numbers of all these birds, along with a stray Purple Finch.  With the overcast sky and cold wind, it definitely looked and felt like late Autumn.