OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
Joan Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:12:21 -0800
O)n Saturday, Nov. 10th I was in Eastlake Ohio driving east on Lakeshore Blvd along the lake around 1:00.  I spotted a huge bird in the sky coming directly across the street from the lake side of the street.  The bird never flapped its wings but soared to a tree branch.  The wings did not have the typical feathery or jagged look of an eagle or turkey vulture, both of which I've seen in Lake County many times.  There were no calls or sounds from the bird.  I got out and looked at it in a tree.  Several birds in the area including bluejays got nervous and swarmed the bird, screeching until it left the tree, heading south.  This bird was all brown, stood about 3.5 to 4 ft in height as it sat on the branch.

  Has anyone else spotted this bird in that neighborhood or know what else it could be?  I didn't have my binoculars but it did not look like it had the identifiable eagle beak either.

Joan M. Scharf