OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
DANIEL WEBER <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DANIEL WEBER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2007 21:06:54 -0400
With all of the reports and anticipation regarding the irruption, I thought that I might send an update from Athens.  I haven't been out birding in a while, but live adjacent to a substantial piece of mature oak/hickory forest.  I see and hear a nice variety of birds.

To begin with, I have had at least 3 RBNU for nearly a month.  This is the first time that I have had the opportunity to observe this species.  They are bold and very active.  They only hit the sunflower feeders and ignore the suet so far.

I have been anticipating the Pine Siskins and yesterday I had a single individual come in to the sunflower seeds.  it seemed skittish.  Today, I noticed at least 3 individuals-all associating with a flock of American Goldfinches.

Dark eyed juncos are spotty so far, but I had a single bird arrive at least 3 weeks ago.  I was surprised to see one when the day time temperatures were still breaking 85 degrees.

Other winter arrivals include Yellow Bellied Sapsucker, Golden Crowned kinglets, and Brown Creeper.

Last, but not least was a Northern Harrier that I spied two weeks ago.  This is only the third NOHA that I have seen in southeast Ohio and the first that I have seen in Athens County.

I am still changing my hummingbird feeder every couple of days, but there has been zero activity.  If anyone in the area is interested in the location of these sightings, please feel free to contact me.

Dan Weber
Athens, OH