OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2007 19:20:24 -0500
I was surprised to see the comments about the lack of movement west of Cleveland as this was my best day of the season so far.  Things did start out slow with just a few birds moving before 8:00.  Between 8:00 and a little after 10:00 there were birds constantly flying by.  The best bird was juvenile gannet that passed by about 9:05.  Other notable sightings were 2 surf scoters, 5 white-winged scoters, 3 red-throated loons, and a glaucous gull.  There was a good movement of loons with many birds on the water.  There was also a good movement of horned grebes, scaup, red-breasted mergansers, and Bonaparte's gulls.

The afternoon was topped off by a pine siskin and common redpoll at the feeder and an Ohio State victory over the Wolverines.

Lakeshore Reservation, North Perry, Lake CountyDate- November 17, 2007, Time- 700-1100Weather- cloudy, Wind- South 5-10Barometer- 29.97-29.99, Temperature- 36-41 FHumidity- 79-71, Dew point- 25-27Waves- 1-2 feet, Flight direction- west
Canvasback-41, Redhead-6, Greater scaup-18, Lesser scaup-136, Scaup spp.-218, SURF SCOTER-2, WHITE-WINGED SCOTER-5, Bufflehead-2, Common goldeneye- 6, Hooded merganser- 71, Common merganser-5, Red-breasted merganser-1,569, RED-THROATED LOON-3, Common loon-252, Pied-billed grebe-1, Horned grebe-134, NORTHERN GANNET-1, Bonaparte's gull-1,241, Ring-billed gull-866, Herring gull-83, GLAUCOUS GULL-1 (1st/2nd), Great-black-backed gull-3