OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Jill Bowers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jill Bowers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2007 17:37:03 -0500
HEY!
Having to work today, I was unable to observe the happenings out of my
window but the evidence tells the story!
There are Mourning dove feathers all over! We even found the little dove
wishbone!!
The unidentified predator was most likely the Coopers Hawk I have seen
hunting thru the sky over our property.
So tomorrow I am posting a sign "No hunting Doves" near the feeder!
Think it will work???
Me either!
Oh, well, everybirdy needs to eat. Just wish I could educate this hungry guy
to get those ones that I don't care about!! They have a black spot on their
chest - that certainly could represent a target area!!

Anyway, the number of AGFs has increased to approximately 75-80. House Finch
numbers are also increased. Still only one Downy occasionally! Dark-eyed
Juncos are increasing, now up to 6.
The Mourning Doves sit on the firewood - Sunday their numbers were up to 25!
We have only Mr & Mrs Cardinal. The Nuthatches have not returned. Blue Jays
visit occasionally - imitating the hawk to get sole possession of the
feeders.
And our little bunny has found a friend! They will live under the deck
again. We serve eared corn for them.

Along the side roads the Horned Larks abound. Haven't spent much time
searching for Snow buntings yet - school has been delayed and then cancelled
so the grandkids need me.

Enjoy the beauty of the snow and FEED THE BIRDS! Don't forget to provide
water for them. Put rocks in it so they don't take a bath. This is what Bill
T III said in "Birdwatchers Digest" recently. Good idea Bill!

Later,
Jill Bowers
Auglaize County