OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Rick Asamoto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2007 17:48:56 -0500
Gene Stauffer, Larry Gara, Shane Egleston and I saw the Red-throated Loon
from the end of Harveysburg Road at Caesar Creek until around 3:00 pm when
we left. The bird spent much of the time to the north (right, as you look
out from
the end of the road) and seemingly across the lake. Earlier Shane and I had
a much closer look from the North Pool boat ramp before it took flight and
headed
to the north end of the lake. This bird had the look of a winter adult with
a very
white face and neck.

While the four of us were looking at the loon we followed another bird in
flight
that landed in the water across from us, very near the opposite shore.
Our suspicions of it being a Surf Scoter were confirmed as it flew directly
at us,
coming within 50 yards before turning and giving us a nice profile view.

Shane and I also found (rather they found us) four American Pipits that
landed within 15 feet of us at the campground area, and 1 Least Sandpiper
at the campground beach.

Rick Asamoto
Miamisburg