OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Jack Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jack Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:12:02 -0800
Sean Williams and I birded Delaware Wildlife Area (Delaware County) for most of today (10/14).  We spent the morning bird banding at Jed Burtt's house, which abuts Delaware WA. While there, Sean picked out 3 COMMON REDPOLLS as they flew over.  We also had a single Common Redpoll later in the day in Area C of the wildlife area.

Also in Area C we observed a NORTHERN SHRIKE and had great looks at 2 BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEES.  They were actively calling and displayed all characteristics of BCCH.  Delaware WA is about 40 miles south of the southern limit of the BCCH range, so they are very unusual in this area.

Here are some of the birds we observed in the southern portion of Delaware WA:

80   Canada Goose
120 Mallard
8     American Black Duck
6     Northern Pintail