OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2007 10:21:52 -0500
Its a tale of two cities here.  I just got a call from Tom Bartlett who is
out on Kelley's Island .  They have just called off the Lake Erie Islands
Christmas Bird Count due to blizzard-like conditions on both Kelley's and
South Bass Islands.  He is reporting strong winds with white-out conditions
and a new 4" of snow on the ground.  They will try to do the count tomorrow.
They are predicting 12-16 foot waves on the lake tonight so I doubt that
anyone else will be able to get over to the islands tomorrow to help with
count.

Here at North Perry it is almost calm with light drizzle.  The WHITE-WINGED
CROSSBILL appeared at my feeders around 10:00.  It did not appear at all on
Saturday.  Other birds at the feeders include brown creeper and a flock of
46+ northern cardinals at one feeding area!  The lake has been slow this
morning with few gulls and very few ducks.  The best sighting so far has
been two fly-by PURPLE SANDPIPERS, new for the yard list.  This afternoon
should be interesting with the weather.

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081