OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
"Laura C. Gooch" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2007 16:09:33 -0500
Folks,

The CBC at Shaker Lakes was yesterday. We had lower-than-average count
(29 species, I believe), but we did see an interesting duck in the "lily
pond" area that appeared to be an albino Mallard. The duck was pure
white (no color at all), and perhaps a little smaller than the Mallards
it was hanging with, but it had the shape of the Mallards and, best of
all, it had those unmistakable curls in the central tail feathers. The
bill was brighter orange than the Mallards', and the eye appeared dark,
although the lighting made it difficult to be sure that it was brown
rather than a dark red. The bill color made me wonder whether it might
be some kind of hybrid with a domestic, but the size and shape and tail
curl certainly said more Mallard than domestic.

Aside from the interesting mallard, species of some note included a
Barred Owl, a Merlin, and a Northern Mockingbird. Notably absent were a
Carolina Wren, an American Black Duck, and any identifiable gulls.

Laura Gooch
Cleveland Heights, Ohio