OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2007 23:24:05 -0500
Hi all,

Today while doing a CBC with Jed Burtt and Ramon Carreno, I located a
female Yellow-headed Blackbird along County Road 156 in Cardington. We
found an all icterid flock of about 30 birds containing Red-winged
Blackbirds, Brown-headed Cowbirds and 6 Common Grackles. My attention
was immediately drawn to a bird with nice yellow plumage around the
head. It was perched and I observed it for 20 seconds before alerting
Ramon and Jed. I noted several characteristics, including the
yellowish tones on the head and breast, in order to eliminate other
possible confusing species. The bird then flew down and away a bit on
the ground with the other icterids. As we tried to approach, the birds
took off into a distant tree, and we tried to observe them, but they
were fairly distant, and very backlit. Finally, they flew to another
person's yard a few houses south, and we lost them for a bit. We could
not relocate all the birds, including the red-wings. Here is the full
address.

2258 County Road 156
Cardington, OH

If you try for this bird, it should be noted that we only received
permission to investigate the property because Jed knows the owners.
However, the birds may be easily viewed from the road.

Good birding,

Sean

--
Sean Williams